For many of us that are married or have been in long term relationships, we know the every day existence of being with your partner can become stale and uneventful, especially if you have been together for several years.
Well, in order to reignite the romance and put some sparks back into your relationship, matchmaker and relationship expert, Christie Nightingale, Principal of Premier Match offers some tips on how to keep a relationship and marriage fresh:
1) Communicate As with any relationship and marriage, you have to keep the communication flowing. There are going to be issues with your partner that come up that are going to annoy you. You need to address these issues with them. No one is a mind reader and passive aggressive behavior will get you no where, so talk to your partner regularly if you have concerns. It will save your relationship in the long run.
2) Compromise When in a relationship or marriage, it can be irritating when your significant other always takes control of the decision making what you'll do, where you'll go, etc. Or it might be the opposite; you are assigned the decision maker because your partner lacks the skills to take charge. Whatever the situation may be, try to stay open to discussion and compromise on your mutual decisions. The give and take of compromise will help strengthen your relationship.
3) Be Considerate Always show consideration to your partner. Don't throw your day's frustrations on to them. Never talk down to them or humiliate them in public. Try to reflect on your behavior, have you been selfish over the past week? Do you have annoying habits (i.e. keeping the toilet seat up, never assisting with house work, etc) that drive your partner crazy? If so, try to acknowledge habits and change them.
4) Compliment Often times in long term relationships we become stingy with offering positive compliments to one another however, we never seem to lack in throwing out negative comments when feel like it. Why is this? We tend to be so quick to judge, complain and criticize our partners but often forget to provide positive comments (i.e. telling them we love them, they look great, we are proud of them). Try to be aware of this issue and provide positive compliments on a regular basis... believe it or not a sweet compliment might make their day! If anything, the love between the two of you can only grow from positive reinforcement so let it flow!
5) Be Creative It seems like whenever we are in a new relationship we tend to come up with all kinds of creative things to do with one another, but when we get into a long term relationship or marriage, we tend to become creatures of habit dining at the same restaurants, doing the same things every weekend. Try to change it up and be creative with your time together. It will help you get out of that monotonous rut that you find yourselves in. Being creative in a relationship can only add more excitement and adventure, so go for it!